Monday Night Wine is a fabulous group of friends I have & we get together a couple Monday nights each month to taste wine. Each month we try a different varietal and I pair it with a dinner, as the wine will change once you introduce food to your palate.
January 2020 Cabernet Sauvignon As winter finally seems to rear its head we are going to taste some Cabernet Sauvignon. A great wine to warm you up on a cold day, or to have with dinner and snuggle up by a warm fire. It is also one of the heaviest and drier wines available. We are going to taste wines from California & Washington. We will pair it with Steaks, Steakhouse Baked Potatoes, Roasted Asparagus & Dark Chocolate Mousse Cake
- 1st tie/1st tie 2016 Predator Cabernet Sauvignon, Lodi, California
- 4th/4th 2016 The Cult Cabernet Sauvignon, California
- 5th/3rd tie 2016 Northwest Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon, Columbia Valley, Washington
- 2nd/1st tie 2016 Mercer Family Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, Horse Heaven Hills, WA
- 1st tie/2nd 2017 Clos de Napa Cellars Rutherford Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, CA
- 3rd/3rd tie 2017 Crossfork Creek Cabernet Sauvignon, Yakima Valley, WA
February 2020 Merlot was the darling at the turn of the 21st century, and was knocked off it’s throne in 2004 by the movie Sideways. Over the past 15+ years Merlot has made a silently slow comeback. There are new world style from California and Washington, and old world from Bordeaux region in France. Today’s Merlot is not the everyday priced wine as we would like, while we found some good ones this month for under $25, most are $30 to $40. Merlot can be bitter upfront due to higher tannins, but once it has aged a little or decanted a little, it is very smooth and typically have descriptions that go on forever. This month we paired our Merlots with Lasagna, Broccoli, Garlic Bread, & Chocolate Bunt Cake with Cheesecake filling.
- 1st/1st tie 2017 William Hill Central Coast Merlot, CA (13.9% APV label)
- 3rd/6th 2016 Robert Hall Merlot, Paso Robles, CA
- 5th/5th 2016 Chloe Merlot San Lucas Vineyard, Monterey County, CA
- 2nd/2nd 2016 St. Francis Sonoma County Merlot, Sonoma County, CA
- 6th/3rd 2016 Kennedy Shah Merlot, Columbia Valley, WA
- 4th/NA 2015 La Lecciaia Merlot, Tuscana, Italy
- NA/4th 2016 Atlas Peak Santa Margarita Ranch Merlot, Paso Robles, CA
- NA/1st tie 2016 Duckhorn Vineyards Merlot, Napa Valley, CA
Bottom of the Page.
- Bottom of Page