|Prep time||1 hour|
|Cook time||2 hours|
|Total time||3 hours|
|Meal type||Main Dish|
|Misc||Freezable, Gourmet, Pre-preparable, Serve Hot|
This is 'Gourmet Meatloaf', excellent for cold winter evenings and pairs well with red wines. Everyone lines up for seconds! I have modified slightly this recipe from the original I found years ago, by Masset Winery on a Petite Sirah website.
- 3lb 90% Lean Ground Beef
- 1lb Mild Italian Sausage Ground
- 1 cup Cream
- 4 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 4 tablespoons Worcheshire Sauce
- 1 1/3 cup Panko
- 2 teaspoons Pepper (Freshly ground)
- 3 Eggs
- 2 Small Onions (finely diced)
- 1 Medium Red Bell Pepper (seeded, cored & finely diced)
- 2 Ribs of Celery (finely diced)
- 2 heaped teaspoons Dried Thyme
- 2 heaped teaspoons Dried Rosemary
- 2 cups Red Wine (Petite Sirah or Shiraz)
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 2 heaped tablespoons Garlic (Minced)
- 1 can Fire Roasted Tomatoes (15oz)
- 3 cups Ketchup
- 4 tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 10 pieces Bacon
This recipe can be made a couple hours ahead of time and kept warm or rewarmed.
|Sauteing Veggies: Melt butter, then add diced veggies, thyme, & rosemary to saute pan. Cook until softened. Don't forget to use a little salt and pepper. Once softened add wine and reduce to almost dry. Set aside to cool.|
|Break up meat in large bowl,use hands to combine beef and sausage. In a separate bowl hand whisk eggs then add cream, mustard, worchestshire sauce, and pepper whisking until well blended. Measure out Panko and have ready. |
Add Egg/Cream mixture to meat and gently mix in using your hands, then add panko, and gently mix it in. Then dump 1/2 of the veggie mixture into the meat mix and gently combine with your hands. Do NOT overwork.
Spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray, gently dump meat into pan, and shape into loaf. Will probably take up entire dish. Leave a little space all the way around for the sauce/bacon.
|Using remaining half of veggies in saute pan, add ketchup, fire roasted tomatoes, red wine vinegar. Stirring to combine and heating until bubbly. Reduce heat and continue to simmer for about 5-8 minutes. Then pour over meat loaf. Top Sauce with bacon slices. |
Bake at 350 uncovered for approximately 1.5 - 2 hours. Allow to sit and rest 10-15 minutes plus before serving.